65 / 100
Salina Turda is located in the Durgău-Valea Sărată area of Turda, Cluj County. In 1992 it was opened to the public. Business Insider ranked Salina Turda in 2013 as a tourist attraction “25 hidden gems around the world that are worth the trek”.

People used the Turda Salt Mine for the first time in antiquity to extract table salt. The first document directly attesting the existence of the salt mine dates from May 1, 1271, by the Hungarian chancellery. Excavations over the years have left room for treatment resorts.

Salina Turda is a halopotherapy center and a tourist attraction. 6 million euros were invested in improvements in 2008 with PHARE Program. In 2010 Salina Turda underwent a major change with an investment of 5,888,000 euros.

Iosif’s Mine

The visit begins through the balconies carved in salt, being placed next to the Franz Josef Gallery. The chamber has a conical shape 112 meters (367ft) deep and 67 meters (220 ft) wide. The room has a strong echo due to its shape. It was called “Chamber of Echoes”.

The Crivac Room

Is an octagonal salt construction and houses a winch called a “crivac” or “gepel”. Crivac was used to lift salt rocks to the surface and dates back to 1881. In 1864 it was replaced with a smaller machine. It is the only one of its kind in all salt mines in Romania and Europe.

Terezia Mine

Terezia Mine has a conical shape. Thanks to the exploitation of the salt in this room, large halls were left behind. The access is made through a tunnel. It is 90 meters (300 ft) high and 87 meters (285 ft) in diameter. The depth from the mouth of the wells to the base is 112 meters (367 ft). Here you can find “salt waterfall” or “underground lake”. In the center of the lake is an island made up of residual salt, stored after 1880, more precisely after the closure of the salt mine in this room.

Rudolf’s Mine

Is 42 meters (138 ft) deep, 50 meters (160 ft) wide and 80 meters (260 ft). It was the last exploitation of the Turda salt mine. The access is made through a compartment of 172 steps. Each level is marked on the walls the year it was opened. There are a total of 13 levels. Salt stalactites form on the northwest ceiling, some up to 3 meters (10 ft) long. Turda Salt Mine has a panoramic elevator that offers tourists a broader view of the entire mine.

The Ghizela Stationary Mine

Is similar to Rudolf’s mine, with rooms at the northeast end of the salt mine. Salt mining in this compartment ceased shortly after the mine opened. The space currently serves as a spa treatment room with natural aerosols. There is a geological reserve in the mine. There is no tourist access 15 meters (49 ft) above the transport gallery (Franz Josef Gallery). Water infiltrations from salt extractions have led to the deposition of stalactites and salt crystals. The room was named “Crystal Hall”.

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here